Wow.
Fried.
We moved in to the apartments yesterday, and it was a definite head trip to be back. My parents helped move me in, we went out for Mexican with my F2 Charlotte (who was also my F2 on the Maasdam), and then we settled in. it turns out that we are in the exact same apartment we were in for the Maasdam rehearsals too. CRAZY! I caught up Gavin, who was one of our directors last time, and it was great to see him again. He'll be teaching/following all of our shows this time, as well as putting them up on the Zuiderdam when we board. Should be really exciting!
Another surprise--though not quite as joyful as the previous ones--was the news that we would be learning an additional show, and that the next 6 days would be dedicated entirely to that show. It's a singers-only show called "Unforgettable" (I get to sing the title song!), which features music from the early 20th century in tight jazz harmony arrangements. It's a beautifully composed show, but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a big undertaking. Apparently there was some miscommunication about whether or not this show was going to be pulled from the ship's repetoire, so we got all our materials last night and did our best to familiarize ourselves with it before rehearsals today. It made for a bit of a low-energy first meeting with the M1 and M2, as well. Kind of hard to have a joyous first night together when you're trying to pick your harmonies out from a song you've never heard before.
However, being the killer professionals we are, we knocked out about 75% of the music during rehearsal today (HUGE thank you to our musical director Doug!!!), and I have high hopes that we'll get it down and still have time left over to review our music for the other shows as well. So, despite getting a bit of a higgeldy-piggeldy start, I think we're moving along well.
We start staging the show in a couple of days. Then our dancers arrive, and then the madness really begin. But all in all, I have to say that I am so thankful to be employed, to be with talented and passionate people, and to be starting off on a brand new adventure. Here's to NEWvember!!
No comments:
Post a Comment